Appeals | HCC


You Have Academic Rights

Our desire is for you to have a positive experience at Henderson Community College. However, we realize there may be times when students need to voice a complaint or grievance. Complaint and grievance procedures have been developed to assist students who have a perception of unfair and/or unlawful treatment.

We have learned over the years many issues can be resolved when the student meets face-to-face with the person or people involved. Unfortunately, not all situations can be resolved in this manner and require a formal process and the assistance of a third party. Below are a few suggestions to guide students through the process of filing a complaint or grievance:

  • If you are not able to resolve the issue by meeting face-to-face with the person or people involved, it is best to discuss the matter with that person s supervisor.
  • If the matter is not yet resolved, a formal complaint or grievance can be filed. It should contain:
    a) a complete description of the complaint or grievance,
    b) any supporting documents, and
    c) the desired outcome sought.
  • A complaint or grievance should be raised as quickly as possible. Students should be aware of timelines regarding formal complaint and grievance procedures.

When a student believes his/her academic rights have been violated they must follow the appeals process outlined in the KCTCS Code of Student Conduct on page 10. Students should review these rights carefully.