Military Training Credit | HCC

Military Training Credit

We realize that learning isn't limited to the inside of a classroom or to individuals of a certain age. Whether you've been working for years or you're a younger student ready to start your college experience, opportunities for receiving academic credit for college-level learning that you already know are possible.


A student may receive course credit where appropriate and equivalent courses are available for formal military training as recommended in A Guide to the Evaluation of Education Experiences in the Armed Service (ACE Guide), published by the American Council on Education (ACE).

How Can I Earn Military Training Credit?

To begin the process of receiving credit for formal military training and experience, please contact your Veterans Services Coordinator.

To view credit options through ACE, visit ACE's Military Guide page.

For Military Transcript Evaluation, request an official military transcript be sent electronically to your local college. You can request your military transcript through the Joint Services Transcript Portal.

Military service credit in career-technical areas that is 10 or more years old and is to be applied toward graduation in the career-technical field must be approved by the appropriate division dean.

Through the use of prior learning assessments, or PLAs for short, colleges in our system can also measure the college-level knowledge you've gained through your day-to-day life and offer you credit for that prior learning and specialized training received through military service.

What is the Cost for Military Training Credit?

There is no cost to be awarded credit for training received in the military.  Reach out to your Veterans Services Coordinator to begin the process of determining your credit options.