Library FAQ | HCC

Library FAQ


What are the library s hours of operation?

Hours of Operation

What is the library s phone number?

You can contact us by phone at (270) 831-9760.

How do I enroll in the Blackboard Information Literacy eCommunity?

Information Literacy eCommunity enrollment instructions

I need help with research. Who do I contact?

Assistance is also available by e-mail or phone (270) 831-9767.

How long can I check out DVDs, books, and CDs?

Library Material Loan Periods

Can community members check out library material?

Patrons residing in Henderson, Union, and Webster counties (service area patrons) are allowed to check out material from the library providing they can produce a valid Kentucky driver s license or Kentucky identification card. Patrons will first need a library card, which can be obtained at the circulation desk. Community patrons are limited to three (3) items checked out at a given time.

Can I check out magazines?

Current and past issues of periodicals (magazines, journals, and newspapers) are not available for check out to students or service area patrons.

Can I access the Internet from my personal laptop?

Yes, the library does have wireless network access on both floors. If you have difficulty accessing the network, please ask the library staff for assistance.

Can I print from my personal laptop?

Not yet. The library is currently working on developing this capability. You may print from the library laptops, however. The library laptops only print to the second floor printer.

Can community members use the computers?

Patrons residing in Henderson, Union, and Webster counties (service area patrons) are allowed to use the computers in the library providing they can produce a valid Kentucky driver s license or Kentucky identification card. Community patrons should stop by the circulation desk first to receive a username and password.

Can I take a laptop computer home with me?

Laptop computers are provided to patrons to use in the library only.

How do I use the databases the library offers?

You can learn to use the databases the library offers by reading the tutorials on our webpage or through the Information Literacy eCommunity in Blackboard. (eCommunity enrollment instructions.)

How do I know which database to use?

Our Databases page can help you determine which database may be useful for your research.

How do I access the library s databases from home?

You can access the databases from home just as you would from campus.  After clicking on your chosen database, you may be prompted to sign in using your KCTCS credentials, but after a single sign-on, you should be free to access the full listing of databases.  

Who do I contact if I am having trouble using a database?

Assistance is also available by e-mail or phone (270) 831-9767.

How do I reserve a study room?

The library provides one room for group or individual study. The room is available to all students and employees on a first-come, first-served basis. Make reservations for this room at the library s circulation desk or by calling Allison Horning at (270) 831-9760. Reservations are for two-hour blocks during regular library hours.

Where are the group study rooms?

Both study rooms are located on the second floor of the library. The first study room (Room Number 204) is located next to the stairwell, diagonally across the hall from the upstairs classrooms. If Room 204 is occupied during your desired time, we will do our best to accommodate you elsewhere. 

The material I need is not located at this library. What can I do to get it?

If you can t find the material you need in our library or through our online databases, you can request material from another library. To search for material in other libraries, use the WorldCat database service, provided by OCLC. The WorldCat database is available through any computer that has a Henderson Community College IP address. Currently enrolled students and Kentucky residents may also access WorldCat with a password provided by the Library. (To learn how to use WorldCat, please join the library s Information Literacy eCommunity in Blackboard. You will find the WorldCat tutorial under the Databases tab.

How do I fill out an interlibrary loan request?

There are two ways to fill out an interlibrary loan request. You can fill out an ILL form online or stop by the circulation desk and pick up a paper copy.

Can I renew interlibrary loan material?

Renewal requests are possible; however, materials obtained through Interlibrary Loan are not the property of Hartfield Library. The lending library has the right to deny a renewal request or recall the book before the due date. We will submit a renewal request if the book is not marked "Renewal not allowed." Please contact the ILL Department at least five (5) business days before the due date listed on the band of the book to see if the material was renewed.

Are there any fees for interlibrary loans?

The library generally does not charge students or faculty/staff for ILL services; however, some charges from other libraries can be substantially prohibitive. In such cases, we reserve the right to contact the requesting party for support with additional charges that Hartfield Library is unable to absorb or the library has the right not to process a request under these possible conditions.

Who should I contact regarding questions about my interlibrary loan?

Assistance is also available by e-mail or phone (270) 831-9767. 

Does the library have a color printer?

The only color printer on campus is located in AS 228. The charge for color printouts is $0.50 per page.

I need to add money to my printing account. Can I do that in the library?

Money can be added to your printing account at the Library's Circulation Desk during our hours of operation, or in LIB 203, the campus Help Desk. Help Desk hours are Monday - Friday, 7:30 - 4:30 PM. You can also add money to your print account in AD Room 204. They are in the office Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM.

How do I print on only one side of the paper?

Follow these instructions to print on only one side of the paper:

1. Click on the File tab at the top of the page.
2. Click Print from the menu.
3. Click Printer Properties from the submenu. (Located under the selected printer in small font.)
4. In the Setup tab in the Duplex box, click on None.
5. Click OK.
6. In the print window, click Print.

How do I check my printing account balance?

To check your printing balance, hold the mouse over the white cone head shaped icon in the lower right corner of the screen near the time icon. A small screen should appear with your name and current printing balance.

Does the library have a copier?

Yes, the library has a copier (black and white only) that is available for student use. The copier is located on the first floor to the left of the circulation desk. Copies cost $0.15 each.

Does the library have a color copier?

There is not a color copier on campus available to students.

Does the library have a fax machine I can use?

There is not a public fax machine available on campus. You can fax documents from the Henderson County Public Library for a fee.