Satisfactory Academic Progress
Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy
Federal regulations mandate that a student receiving financial aid under Title IV
programs must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in his/her course of study
regardless of whether financial aid is awarded each semester.
Students are responsible for understanding and adhering to the satisfactory academic progress policy. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) will be measured at the end of each term for all students.
Satisfactory Academic Progress is measured with the following standards:
- Qualitative (cumulative Grade Point Average)
- Quantitative (67% Rule Earned hours divided by Attempted Hours
- Maximum Time Frame (150% of required hours for program completion)
Please review the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy for more detailed descriptions of these measures and how they affect your financial aid eligibility.
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal
You may submit an appeal to continue receiving your financial aid.
To appeal, complete the steps below:
1. Complete the Online SAP Appeal in PeopleSoft Student Self Service by clicking on the Online SAP Appeal link in the Financial Aid section.
2. Meet with an advisor, complete an Academic Plan of Action, and submit to the Financial Aid Office.
- Over the summer (after the end of the spring term and before fall classes begin) you will meet with a Start Center Advisor.
- During the standard terms you will meet with your assigned academic advisor.
NOTE: Incomplete appeals will not be approved. The Online SAP Appeal and Academic Plan of Action are required. An appeal may be tentatively approved without the Plan of Action, but no aid is packaged or awarded until all required items are received.
You will receive notification of the committee decision in your PeopleSoft under Finances/SAP Appeal Confirmation and via your KCTCS email account within 10 business days.