Military Students | HCC

Military Students


We welcome military service members, veterans and their families. Earn a degree, diploma or certificate on campus or online. We offer flexibility and support services to help you reach your goals while serving your country or after you’ve retired from active duty.

How to Apply

The application process is quick and simple, and we’re here to help. Just follow these steps:

  1. Please contact us for an appointment to discuss your eligibility for educational benefits.  We are here to help you understand the benefits you may be eligible to receive and how to apply for them.

  2. Submit your application for admission.

    If you are on active duty, a drilling reservist, or a member of the National Guard, you may qualify for State or Federal Tuition Assistance (TA).  You should speak with your Educational Services Officer (ESO) or Counselor prior to applying.

    Submit the KCTCS application if you’re not using Tuition Assistance.

  3. Send us transcripts from high school and any colleges you’ve attended.

  4. Submit your ACT or SAT scores or the results of placement testing.

  5. Explore financial aid. Federal financial aid is available for members of all branches of the military. We also offers scholarships, grants and loans to make a great education even more affordable.

  6. Request your Joint Services Transcript (JST) be sent to the registrar's office.  Air Force veterans and service members should request their transcript from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF).  See Military Training Credit for more information about how credit is awarded for military education and experience.

Concurrent Admission

If you’re planning to enlist in the Army, you may be eligible for the Concurrent Admissions Program (ConAP), a program designed to help you apply to college and access your benefits. Be sure to select KCTCS as your home college when you enlist.

Local Experts

The Veterans Office at HCC coordinates Federal and state education benefit programs for veterans and eligible dependents. We can assist veterans and dependents with their application for benefits, and we can certify their enrollment to the US Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Processing Office.

For more information contact:

Whitney Laird
Director of Financial Aid & Veterans Services
Sullivan Technology Center
Room 225