Department of Energy Internship
The US Department of Energy Office of Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists is accepting applications for its Community College Internship (CCI) program (http://science.energy.gov/wdts/cci/). This program encourages community college students to enter technical careers by offering 10-week summer internships at one of 13 DOE laboratories. Students will work on projects related to DOE s ongoing Ramp;D programs, under the guidance of laboratory staff scientists or engineers. The program is for full-time students who have completed at least one semester and at least 12 credits hours towards a degree, with at least 6 credit hours in science, mathematics, engineering, or technology course areas.
Students must apply directly and are required to submit essays, transcripts and letters of recommendation. The deadline is January 10, 2012.
From the program s website, here are some additional details (highlighted info on financials as this would likely influence a student s decision to pursue this opportunity):
- Host laboratories provide enrichment activities, including career professional development workshops (e.g. technical and scientific writing skills development, poster, or oral presentation activities, etc.), laboratory tours, scientific or technical lectures and seminars.
- Host laboratories provide all required site specific training.
- Selected students receive a stipend of $425 per week during the internship period.
- Selected students are reimbursed for one round trip domestic travel to the host laboratory (if permanent address is more than 50 miles from the host laboratory).
- In general, housing opportunities will vary from laboratory to laboratory. An allowance is available for interns placed at host laboratories that are unable
to offer direct housing arrangements.