RC2C FAQs for HCC Scholars


I have met the criteria for the RC2C scholarship. What do I need to do to be admitted to HCC?

Apply to HCC online even if you have been taking dual credit courses at https://henderson.kctcs.edu/Admissions/Ways_to_Apply.aspx.

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. The HCC Financial Aid Office has instructions available on the college website at http://henderson.kctcs.edu/Costs_and_Financial_Aid. You may also walk-in during business hours (8-4:30 M-F) for assistance at the Start Center, 2nd floor, Sullivan Technology Center (STC).

NOTE: If you wish to take summer classes to start early, you must complete the FAFSA for both the current aid year (summer is part of the current financial aid year) and for next year, which begins in the fall.

Once your application has been processed, you will get information on any testing needed, advising for classes, and your orientation to HCC. If you need help with any step, call our Welcome Center at 270.827.1867 or come by our Start Center (second floor of the Sullivan Technology Center-STC).

How do I know how much money I will receive from RC2C?

Your RC2C scholarship will be calculated after all other forms of financial aid, KEES money, scholarships and grants are applied to your tuition (not including any loans). Then, the HCC Financial Aid Director will apply up to a maximum of $1,000 to cover any remaining tuition. If all other forms of financial aid cover tuition costs, then you will receive $250 per semester from RC2C.

What if I take fewer than 12 credit hours during the semester?

The RC2C scholarship is based on 12 credit hours per semester. If you take fewer than 12 credit hours the scholarship will be prorated based on the number of hours that the student is carrying for the semester (i.e., if you take 9 credit hours you could receive $250 to $750).

When and how will I receive the money?

Your college costs (tuition and books/supplies purchased through the bookstore) are paid by all financial aid/scholarships you have been awarded. A refund of any remaining balance available is issued to HigherOne, the company that manages the refund process for HCC, and it is deposited around 30 days after the start of the standard term.

There are various methods you may choose with HigherOne, including a HigherOne debit card (the quickest refund method), a paper check, or direct deposit to your bank account. At the start of your first semester, you will receive an email from HigherOne that will give you information to set up your account at the start of your first semester. Keep an eye out for it, as it is commonly mistaken as junk mail. Please contact the Go KCTCS! Student Service Center at 855-464-2244 with any questions regarding your refund date.

Once I receive the financial aid balance/refund are there restrictions on how I can use it?

No, there are no restrictions.

Do I have to enter HCC immediately after I graduate from HCHS to receive my scholarship? Are there any school terms when a scholarship isn't available?

  • You can enroll the summer term after graduation as long as you go to HCC in the fall term that follows.
  • RC2C money will be funded from August to August for 2 years.
  • To use RC2C money for summer classes, you must be enrolled at HCC for the previous spring semester or the fall semester immediately following the summer enrollment.
  • If you are a newly enrolled student or a transfer student, to use RC2C money you must enroll at HCC within 2 years after graduating from high school. Example: Students graduating in the class of 2013 must enroll at HCC by August 2015 to take advantage of the RC2C Scholarship.
  • You can start in a fall term, spring term or summer term. To enroll in a summer term you must have attended HCC either the previous spring term or you must enroll at HCC for the following fall term.
  • You may not attend HCC in the summer after graduation and then attend another institution and receive RC2C scholarship money for the summer term.
  • You are eligible for a maximum of four terms of RC2C scholarship funding.

What if I decide to go to another college and then return home later to attend HCC?

If you go to another institution and then want to return to HCC by or before the second spring semester after HCHS graduation you must have maintained a 2.5 GPA at the other institution or, if your GPA was between 1.5 and 2.0, you must have been granted a waiver via an appeal.

Once I begin receiving my scholarship, what are the requirements for me to maintain it?

You must maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average (GPA) across your four terms at HCC.

If something happens and I do not meet the criteria to keep my scholarship while I am attending HCC, may I appeal?

There is an appeal process.

1. If you earn between 2.0 and 2.5 in your first semester, you will receive a letter of warning that includes strategies to help you get your GPA up. If you receive a GPA below 2.5 at the end of your second semester but have improved your GPA from the end of the first term, you may file an appeal that includes strategies you will take to improve for the next semester. The appeal will be reviewed by an RC2C panel that includes community members. If approved, you may continue to receive the scholarship as long as your GPA is above 2.5.

2. If your GPA is below 2.0 at the end of the first term, you may appeal but should discuss the appeal with the Director of Financial Aid first.

I am an undocumented student. May I receive an RC2C scholarship?

Yes; please contact the HCC Director of Financial Aid at (270) 831-9627.

I have been accepted into the HCC Honors Program. How does my RC2C scholarship work with that?

Your Honors Scholarship is applied after your RC2C scholarship, so you will receive the entire amount of Honors Scholarship regardless of the amount of RC2C scholarship funds received.

Whom should I contact if I have other questions or concerns about my RC2C scholarship?

Contact the HCC Director of Financial Aid at (270) 831-9627.

Whom would I contact if I just want to tell someone thank-you for giving me this opportunity?

Donors from the community who have given money for you to have this opportunity would greatly appreciate that gesture. You may send your note in care of HCC President, HCC, 2660 South Green St., Henderson, KY 42420

How can my family or I donate to RC2C so other students have the same opportunity?

A donation would help others attend HCC. Please write your tax-deductible check to The College Foundation and send it to The College Foundation, c/o Henderson Community College, 2660 South Green Street, Henderson, KY 42420.