Types of Aid

File tabs with the words Loans, Scholarship, Grants and Work Study written on them.

Students (and parents) thinking about college should head into the process with a positive attitude. Even in these hard economic times, money for college is available. It is a matter of being aggressive. To assist you in this effort, we have gathered information to lead you in the right direction.

One application covers all the types of aid listed. Each financial aid applicant must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the federal processor, designating Henderson Community College as the college of choice. Out of state students must also apply using the FAFSA.

State and federal governments provide a number of options

  • Grants, scholarships, and waivers
  • Loans
  • The federal work-study program, which provides part-time employment that can also help you pay for college


What kinds of grants are available?

Pell Grants are available year-round!

Students who have exhausted 100% of their Pell Grant eligibility in the fall and spring are now available for additional grant funds for the summer.  You need to be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours), meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards, and taking classes that count in your program of study.  For more information please contact the Financial Aid Office.

What types of scholarships can I get?

If you have a strong academic record or special talent, you may qualify for a scholarship. These are typically awarded for achievement or merit. They come from the college, as well as the government, individuals, and private organizations. A few options:

  • Kentucky Educational Excellence Scholarship (KEES). This state program awards scholarship to Kentucky students who earn a 2.5 GPA or higher in high school.
  • KCTCS Presidential Scholarship. The Presidential Scholarship goes to students in each of the Kentucky Community Technical and College System (KCTCS) schools who have outstanding academic performance and unmet financial need. For more information or to apply, contact us.
  • KCTCS John T. Smith Scholarship. This fund supports minority students at KCTCS who maintain a 2.5 GPA and have unmet financial need. For more information or to apply, contact us.
  • KCTCS Commonwealth Scholarship. Kentucky residents who graduate in the upper quartile of their high school graduating class are eligible for this award.
  • State-mandated scholarships, waivers and other help. KCTCS offers automatic scholarships to faculty and staff, the elderly, dependents of deceased Kentucky firefighters and veterans, and other groups. Many other programs are available from a variety of sources.

How do student loans work?

The Federal Direct Loan Program lends money to students attending a minimum of six credit hours. Two types of loans are available:

  1. Subsidized Direct Loan, which is based on financial need. The government will pay a portion of the interest you accumulate on this loan and you repay the balance.
  2. Unsubsidized Direct Loan, which does not require students to demonstrate financial need. Students must repay this loan in its entirety, including interest.