Admissions FAQs


Will I be accepted by Henderson Community College?

Henderson Community College is an open-entry institution which means we accept everyone who applies regardless of educational background. However, being accepted to Henderson Community College does not mean you will automatically be accepted into each program of study. Some programs are designated as selective admissions programs, which means students are ranked based on test scores and grades and only a selected number of students are accepted.

What are the steps to enrolling in classes at Henderson Community College?

Step 1: Submit an Admission Application and complete admissions file

Step 2: Apply for financial aid

Step 3: Attend New Student Orientation and complete placement testing

Step 4: Meet with an advisor and enroll online

Step 5: Pay tuition and buy books

How do I apply for admission to Henderson Community College and complete my admissions file?

It s easy to apply for admission to Henderson Community College. Just follow these simple steps:

  • Submit an online application for admission. Using any computer, go to the HCC website and click on the Apply Now link at the top of the page. If you are ready to apply now, you can begin to complete your application. If you do not have access to a computer, you may come to the college and use one of the computers located in the Start Center on the second floor of the Sullivan Technology Center.
  • Request documents needed for your admissions file. It is your responsibility to request official documents needed to complete your admissions file. These documents must be mailed directly from their source (high school, college, or GED Center) and received prior to or during your first semester of enrollment for you to be eligible to enroll in second semester classes. The following chart will help you determine which documents need to be sent to Henderson Community College.



Definition of Admit Status Official Records Needed for General
Admissions Some programs may have
additional requirements
High School A student who is currently
enrolled in high school
Official ACT, SAT, and/or placement scores
Freshman A student who has not attended
a college or university after high
Official FINAL high school transcript (including
graduation date and GPA) or official GED transcript
Official ACT, SAT, and/or placement scores
Re-Admit A student who previously attended
Student will be notified of any needed documents.
Transfer A student who has attended one
or more colleges but not HCC
Official transcript from each non-KCTCS college
attended. Those marked "issued to student"
cannot be accepted.
Visiting A student who is currently enrolled
at another college
Letter of good standing from the student's home
Student copy of college transcript
Student copy of ACT, SAT, and/or placement scores

Official documents must be mailed directly from their source (high school, college or GED Center) to:

Henderson Community College
Admissions and Records Office
2660 South Green Street
Henderson, KY 42420

If you have any questions about this process, please call the Admissions and Records Office at (270) 831-9652 or 1-800-696-9958, ext. 19652.

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

Go to This is the official financial aid website where you can apply for federal aid, state grants, and loans. You will need last year s tax forms (1040 forms, W-2 s, etc.) as well as Henderson Community College s FAFSA code which is 001993. We recommend that you complete your FAFSA no later than March 1 in order to qualify for the most financial aid possible; however, the earlier you complete the FAFSA, the better chance you have of receiving grants. If you do not have access to a computer, you may come to the college and use one of the computers located outside the Admissions and Records Office.

The scholarship deadline for Henderson Community College is March 15 for the subsequent fall semester. HCC strongly encourages you to apply for scholarships when available. You don t have to be a straight-A student to qualify for scholarship money at HCC! Your high school guidance counselor will have a list of scholarships from your community.

If you have questions about the different types of financial aid or how to apply for financial aid, you may contact the Financial Aid Office at (270) 831-9628 or 1-800-696-9958, ext. 19628 or check out our Financial Aid FAQ.

What kinds of financial aid are available for college?

There are three basic types of financial aid:

  • Scholarships: Scholarships include any money given to a student by a group or organization that can be used to finance a college education. Some scholarships are based on the financial need of the student while others are based on prior academic success. While many civic clubs and organizations (i.e. Rotary Club, Sports Hall of Fame, local churches, etc.) offer scholarships, Henderson Community College also offers scholarships. Scholarship money, typically, does not need to be paid back to the organization.
  • Grants: Grants are disbursed by both the state and federal governments and typically do not have to be paid back as long as you complete your classes. Examples of grants include the federal PELL grant and, in the state of Kentucky, grants include KEES (Kentucky Education Excellence Scholarship) and CAP (College Access Program).
  • Loans: Students may also be eligible for government loan programs like the Stafford Loan. Remember that if you take out a loan, you are also obligated to repay that loan once you leave school.

If you have questions about financial aid, please check out our Financial Aid FAQ.

What is a transcript and how do I obtain one?

A transcript is an academic record that shows the classes you have taken, the grades for those classes, your overall grade point average (GPA), and any degrees or diplomas you may have earned. Henderson Community College must have a transcript from each school that has been attended previously for a student s file to be complete.

  • If you are coming to Henderson Community College directly out of high school, you should contact your high school and request a transcript be sent directly to HCC.
  • For each college you have previously attended, you must contact that college and ask that a transcript be sent directly to HCC. If you have previously attended Henderson Community College or any college in the KCTCS system, you will not have to request a transcript to complete your admissions file.

All official transcripts should be sent to:

Admissions and Records Office
Henderson Community College
2660 South Green Street
Henderson, KY 42420

How will I get my ACT scores, high school transcript (or GED transcript), or other college transcripts sent to the college?

It is your responsibility to request the required documents to complete your admissions file and to confirm their receipt in the Admissions and Records Office. You will not be allowed to register for a second semester until your admissions file is complete. These documents must be requested from your high school, college, ACT, or GED records center. These must be mailed directly from each institution to: Henderson Community College, Admissions & Records Office, 2660 S. Green Street, Henderson, KY 42420.

Our online New Student Orientation is a great resource with various links to learn more about completing the admissions process.

What exactly is New Student Orientation and why do I have to attend?

If you have never attended college before, you probably have many questions. New Student Orientation is a two-hour meeting in which we try to answer your questions. Some of the topics we will cover include:

  • Setting up your college computer account
  • Policies and procedures to help you be successful at HCC
  • Placement testing
  • How to read a class schedule
  • Definition of credit hours
  • Being a full-time student vs. a part-time student
  • What to expect at your advising appointment
  • The Advising Syllabus
  • Choosing classes for your first semester of college

When you leave New Student Orientation, you will have an unofficial and tentative schedule of your first-semester classes to discuss with your advisor.

New Student Orientation is required of all first-time college students. While orientation isn t required of transfer students, we recommend transfer students attend so you can learn the policies and procedures at Henderson Community College.

Once you apply to Henderson Community College, you will receive a postcard indicating that we received your application. We will then contact you by letter. The letter will direct you to contact the college and make an appointment for New Student Orientation.

Do I need to complete New Student Orientation? If so, how do I schedule my orientation session?

Completing an orientation session will prepare you for your first meeting with your academic advisor. During orientation we will explain various college processes to you, allow you to ask any questions you may have, and most importantly, teach you to read a college class schedule and help you determine the classes needed during your first semester. By doing this, you will be prepared to meet with your academic advisor and enroll in classes. Watch your mailbox closely as more information will be sent to you about how to schedule an orientation session. To go ahead and schedule an orientation session, please call (270) 831-9610.

What are the TABE and KYOTE assessments and how do I know if I need them?

At Henderson Community College, we want all students to be successful. In order to ensure success, we need to place each student in the appropriate level of classes, depending upon each student s academic preparedness. We use several measurement tools to determine academic preparedness:

ACT: This assessment is required of all Kentucky high school juniors. The ACT can be taken multiple times and it is typical for students to take the ACT again their senior year. If certain benchmark scores are not reached, students will then need to take placement exams. To schedule an ACT exam, you may go to

The current ACT benchmarks for Henderson Community College are:

  • English = 18
  • Reading = 20
  • Math = 19 21 (depending upon which college-level math course is needed)

If these benchmarks are not reached, then  a KYOTE (Math) or TABE (English and reading) placement exam should be scheduled.

SAT: Some out-of-state students may have taken the SAT. If this is the case, Henderson Community College can accept this test by comparing the SAT scores with ACT scores. Additional testing may still be needed. If you have questions about the SAT, you may call Pamela Buchanan at the Testing Center at (270) 831-9783.

Do I need to complete placement testing? If so, how do I schedule my testing session?

Some students may have to complete KYOTE and TABE placement testing depending upon ACT or SAT scores. If you aren t sure whether you need placement testing, scroll up to the section about placement testing. Watch your mailbox closely as more information will be sent to you about placement testing. To schedule placement testing please call Pamela Buchanan at (270) 831-9783.

Can I enroll at Henderson Community College if I live out-of-state?

Absolutely! In fact, due to HCC s unique positioning near several states, we have special tuition arrangements with many out-of-state counties.

If you live in the following counties, designated as reciprocal counties, you are automatically charged in-state tuition:
o Indiana Counties: Gibson; Perry; Posey; Spencer; Vanderburgh; Warrick

If you live in the following counties, designated as contiguous counties, you are charged a special tuition rate that is less than full out-of-state tuition:
o Illinois Counties: Alexander; Gallatin; Hardin; Massac; Pope; Pulaski
o Indiana Counties: Crawford; Dearborn; Floyd; Franklin; Harrison; Jefferson; Ohio; Ripley; Scott; Switzerland; Washington

Tuition rates do change periodically. Check the website for current tuition rates.

If I live out-of-state, can I apply for Kentucky residency to be charged in-state tuition?

Typically, once you have lived in Kentucky for 12 consecutive months, you are considered a resident of the state and will then qualify for in-state tuition. However, under certain circumstances, that length of time may be shortened. If you have questions about residency, call (270) 831-9716 or 1-800-696-9958, ext. 19716.

Residency Application Form

Why do I need to meet with an advisor before registering for classes?

Advisors are faculty members who are experts in their chosen fields. For example, if a student chooses nursing for his or her major, we assign that student to an advisor who teaches nursing classes and is familiar with the nursing profession. If a student chooses business as his or her major, that student would be assigned to an advisor with a business degree and who is familiar with various business professions.

Your advisor acts as a guide while you are in college. Your advisor may talk with you about challenges to your success at school, job opportunities within your chosen major/profession, and the classes you need to take in order to graduate in a timely manner. At Henderson Community College, we feel it is very important to meet with your advisor at least once each semester (of course, you may meet with your advisor as often as you like) to discuss your progress in school. Your advisor will work with you to ensure that you choose the proper classes each semester before you actually enroll.

When will I meet with my academic advisor and enroll in classes?

Once the admissions process has been completed, you will make an appointment with your advisor to discuss your course schedule and then enroll online in your classes. Don t worry if you don t know who your advisor is we will give you this information during New Student Orientation or you can contact the Admissions & Records Office at 270-831-9610 or 1-800-696-9958, ext. 19610.

Can I register before my official transcripts (GED or high school and college, if applicable) and placement test scores are received?

Yes, you may enroll for one semester before all required documents are received to complete your admissions file. However, you may need to bring unofficial ACT scores or college transcripts to registration to show that you have met course prerequisites.

What types of degrees are offered at Henderson Community College?

At Henderson Community College, we pride ourselves on offering a wide variety of programs from which students may choose.

There are two types of degrees that can be obtained from Henderson Community College:

Associate in Applied Science (AAS) Degree: The AAS degree is a technical degree designed to train the student for a specific occupation in a relatively short amount of time so the student can enter the workforce quickly. Currently, HCC offers nine different AAS degree programs noted below.

Associate in Arts (AA) or Associate in Science (AS) Degree: The AA and AS degrees are general education degrees designed for students who want to complete their general education curriculum and then transfer to a four-year institution to complete a Bachelor s degree. Our transfer degrees are designed to easily transfer to any Kentucky institution as well as most institutions in the southern Indiana area.

You can find more information about the Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees on the HCC website.

In addition to these degree options, Henderson Community College offers diplomas as well as certificates for many different programs.

What is the difference between an Associate in Arts (AA) and an Associate in Science (AS) degree?

Some students want a technical degree (AAS) so they can join the work force as quickly as possible, but other students would like to pursue a Bachelor s degree. While Henderson Community College doesn t offer Bachelor s degrees, HCC does offer the AA or AS degree, both of which transfer very easily to a four-year institution. While both degrees require some of the same classes, both degrees also have some basic differences:

  • Associate in Arts (AA) Degree: Students pursuing the AA degree take more classes in the social sciences like psychology, sociology, religion, and history and fewer classes in math and science. Examples of four-year academic majors students pursue with this degree include education, psychology, social work or counseling, business, and pre-law.
    Download the Associate in Arts program of study worksheet in Excel or Acrobat format.
  • Associate in Science (AS) Degree: Students pursuing the AS degree take more classes in math and science and fewer classes in heritage (history) and humanities. Examples of four-year academic majors students pursue with this degree include biology, chemistry, environmental science, and numerous medical programs of study, including pre-med degrees.
    Download the Associate in Science program of study worksheet in Excel or Acrobat format.

What programs are selective admissions programs?

Our nursing programs and dental programs noted below are designated as selective admissions programs. For more specific information about these programs, please see the following links:

What is a syllabus?

A syllabus is an outline of classroom policies, procedures, and educational topics to be covered in a particular class. A syllabus typically lists the expectations an instructor has for the students, and some syllabi even list the expectations a student should have for the instructor. A syllabus is typically given to each student at the beginning of the semester for each class the student attends. All instructors at Henderson Community College use syllabi, so if you are taking four classes, you should receive four syllabi.

What is an Advising Syllabus?

At Henderson Community College, we believe advising is a learning opportunity. As such, we believe the student should know what is expected of him or her when that student meets with his or her advisor. HCC has developed an advising syllabus, which contains basic information about the student s chosen field of study as well as expectations for both the student and the advisor. This syllabus should be brought to each advising appointment and used during that appointment. It is the student s responsibility to bring the advising syllabus to the advising appointment. While you will receive a copy of the advising syllabus in New Student Orientation, if you would like, you can print a copy now.

First Semester Advising Syllabus
Second Tier Advising Syllabus

What is a credit hour ?

When you look at Henderson Community College s course schedule, you will notice that different classes are designated as having different credit hours. Each class is designated as having a certain number of credit hours based upon the amount of time that class meets each week.

For example, a one-credit hour class meets approximately one hour each week while a two-credit hour class would meet two hours each week and a three-credit hour class would meet approximately three hours each week.

How many credit hours are needed to be a full-time student?

A student must take at least 12 credit hours to be considered full time. Since a majority of the courses at Henderson Community College are three credit hours in length, a typical full-time college student at HCC would take four courses. It is possible to take more than 12 credit hours, but you should talk to your advisor about the number of courses and credit hours you can comfortably attempt.

Anything less than 12 credit hours is considered part-time status. You can take just one 3 credit hour class, but the typical part-time student at HCC takes about six credit hours (two 3 credit hour courses).

How do I decide whether to be a full-time or part-time student?

This is a very important decision each student has to make, and the decision is dependent upon many variables. Some obligations you may need to consider before making this decision might include:

  • Full-time or part-time job obligations
  • Family or caregiver obligations
  • Financial obligations
  • Transportation needs
  • Available free time for study

This topic will be covered in more detail during New Student Orientation, and the student should also discuss this matter with his or her advisor before enrolling in classes.

Will I attend class every day?

Each student s class schedule will be totally different and there is no typical college schedule. Some students do have class every day while others do not. Some may take both online and face-to-face classes, while others are strictly online students. Some students may take classes during the day, while others may prefer night classes.

The advantage of college classes is that there are enough opportunities that you can build just about any schedule in order to fit your busy life!

The majority of classes are scheduled for two days a week. You may schedule Monday-Wednesday (MW) classes or you may schedule Tuesday-Thursday (TR) classes. The reality is you will probably take a little of both. Night classes only meet once a week but for a longer period of time each night than daytime classes. It is entirely possible that before you graduate you will have taken MW classes, TR classes, night classes, and even an online class or two. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule. A few classes meet Monday through Thursday while we do have a few classes that meet on Friday as well.

This topic will be covered in more detail during New Student Orientation, and the student should also discuss this matter with his or her advisor before registering for classes.

What happens if I need to drop a class?

This is a very important question and one that many students don t fully understand. There are many reasons a student may want to drop a class - from a change in work schedule to poor performance in the class. However, dropping a class may impact a student s graduation date as well as the student s financial aid.

If a student is struggling in a class, he or she needs to talk with the instructor first. Many times the student and instructor can work together so the student can successfully pass the class. Many instructors work with students after class on an individual basis, and HCC offers a free tutoring program as well.

If you receive financial aid, depending upon when you decide to drop a class, it may result in your paying part of your financial aid back. So, always seek the advice of a financial aid counselor before dropping a class.

It is also important to realize that you are not automatically dropped if you stop attending class. You may receive a failing grade if you do not officially drop a class, so it is extremely important to communicate with your instructor and your advisor when considering dropping a class.