Veterans Affairs

The Department of Veterans Affairs educational benefits are designated to provide eligible individuals with an opportunity for educational and career growth. Eligibility for VA educational benefits is determined by the US Department of Veterans Affairs in St. Louis, MO. Forms may be obtained online or in the Start Center, Sullivan Technology Building, Room 227.

Kentucky Tuition Waiver

A waiver of tuition is an education benefit provided by the Commonwealth of Kentucky in recognition of the military service of certain Kentucky veterans. The tuition waiver is provided for children, stepchildren, adopted children, spouses, and unremarried widows & widowers. An approved tuition waiver means a student may attend any two-year schools, four-year schools or vocational technical schools that are operated and funded by the Kentucky Department of Education. Additional information about the tuition waiver program and how to apply is available at Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs

Before Applying for VA Educational Benefits

The Department of Veterans Affairs requires each applicant utilizing their VA educational benefits to be formally accepted into an approved curriculum (Program of Study) before initial certification of attendance can be sent to the DVA.

Things You Need to Know

  • VA does not pay for your tuition or books. They send the money straight to you. If you do not receive financial aid, you must pay for tuition and books yourself or you will be dropped from your classes for non-payment of fees!!
  • If you are thinking of dropping a class, you need to consult the VA office on campus or you may have to repay some of the money that you received for classes.
  • You can only take courses that are required on your academic plan. In most cases, military transfer credit covers your elective requirements. If a class does not fit in your academic plan, VA will not pay for the course.
  • You must be in a degree seeking program to receive benefits/payment. Undecided or Non-Degree Seeking are not acceptable majors. Also, you must consult the VA office prior to changing your major.

VA Education Benefit Chapters

Chapter 30:  Montgomery GI Bill
Chapter 1606:  Montgomery GI Bill for the Selected Reserve
Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program
Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation
Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill
Chapter 35: Dependent's and Survivor's Educational Assistance Program

The Henderson Community College Veterans Affairs Representative is not part of the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). His/Her responsibility is to interpret, explain, and administer VA regulations as they apply to you at HCC. The regional office that we have been assigned to by Department of Veterans Affairs is the St. Louis Regional Processing Office. Their mailing address for all correspondence is:

DVA St. Louis Regional Processing Office
P.O. Box 66830
St. Louis, MO, 63166-6830

For more information contact:

man with tie, white shirt, and glasses sitting behind desk   Andy Zellers
The Start Center
Sullivan Technology Center, Room 219