Service Delay

alert icon Service Delay: We are currently experiencing longer load times for our online application. We apologize for this delay and appreciate your patience.

Dual Credit: Go2College in High School

Just think: you could receive credit for both college AND high school requirements with dual credit courses! In a dual credit class you are a college student and must meet college admissions requirements in English, math and reading. Courses are offered at Henderson Community College, the HCC Herron Center in Union County, and Henderson County High School.

Here s How It Works

A student must have an ACT score that meets the placement requirements for his or her desired classes. man with glasses in hooded sweatshirtIf these scores are not met, then the student should schedule a free KYOTE or TABE placement exam. The student must also meet all course prerequisites. The ACT scores to take college credit classes at HCC are provided.

High School students enrolled at HCC receive grades for their courses on an HCC transcript whether the course is taught at the high school or the college. All HCC instructors - whether high school faculty or college faculty are certified by HCC's office of Academic Affairs as having the appropriate training, education, and degree to teach their courses. in either case, the teacher has been certified by the college as having the necessary credentials and the appropriate expertise to teach the course. Students will receive a syllabus for each course and have the opportunity to evaluate the instructor.

Dual Credit Course Tuition/Textbooks and Supplies

Credit is awarded when the student passes the course. Students must pass a DC class with a "C" or higher to remain in the dual credit program.

  • taught by college instructors and/or high school teachers who have been credentialed by the college to serve as a college adjunct professor.
  • accepted at public college and universities in Kentucky and most public institutions across the nation. Check with the individual college for your intended major s academic requirements.
  • dual credit courses are taught at the high school and at the HCC Herron Center. Dual credit students may also participate in a class on the college campus or online.

Dual credit courses for 2016-2017 will be charged at a special rate as per an Executive Order from Governor Bevin. All dual credit classes will be charged to the student at $52 per credit hour (HCC will cover the cost difference between this rate and regular tuition fees).

High School seniors will work with their school administration to apply for a statewide dual credit tuition scholarship that will cover the $52/credit hour for two dual credit classes (up to 9 credit hours). All seniors will have to complete a 30-minute college success counseling session to receive this scholarship during this school year. If seniors register for additional dual credit classes, they must pay the $52/credit hour tuition. Juniors may apply for a KCTCS dual credit scholarship for one class (3 credits) to cover the $52/credit hour cost and would pay $52/credit hour for any additional dual credit courses.

Possible textbook purchases may be required, depending on the class and instructor.

Transfer of Dual Credit Courses to a University

Dual credit courses transfer to any Kentucky university and many other universities across the country. Course-to-course transfer equivalency information for Kentucky universities may be accessed at

Important dates for dual credit classes

Want to Learn More?

Union County High School Students Contact:
Shannon Clements
Herron Center

Henderson Community College Chief Academic Officer Contact:
Dr. Reneau Waggoner
Henderson Community College

You are also welcome to check out the college course schedule and other information at Henderson Community College's Academics page