Important Notice

alert iconHCC campuses observing President's Day holiday: no classes/offices closed Monday, Feb. 20th. Check out our March term 2017 classes! See the Class Schedules or call 855-GO-HCC44 (855.464.2244) anytime for help!
man looking into microscope

Assessment and Placement

What is assessment and placement?

NOTE: At this time, COMPASS is being replaced by TABE and KYOTE. Please contact Cary Conley at 270-831-9612 or call 270-831-9610 for more information about these placement tests.

The ACT® test assesses high school students' general educational development and their ability to complete college-level work. 

Why do I have to be assessed?

KCTCS requires students to have assessment and placement information before beginning college classes. This may be done by ACT scores, transfer credit, or TABE/KYOTE scores. These assessments are used to place students in appropriate classes in order to increase success in college.

Free ACT Practice:

Paid ACT Services/Resources:

ACT offers a paid service on the web.

There are also many other paid services through the internet such as or

Several books are available for purchase that also include practice CDs that can be used on home computers. Many titles can be checked out at the local libraries or purchased at any local bookstore or online. These books normally include real practice tests, lessons, strategies, and test taking tips. These might include:

  • The Real ACT Prep Guide (This book is the official practice book published by ACT)
  • Kaplan ACT Premier Program (w/CD-ROM)
  • The ACT for Dummies

Contact information

You may fax student copies of placement test scores to Cary Conley at 270-831-9612 or call 270-831-9610, though official ACT scores must be on file in the Admissions office.

Additional Tests

Find out information about GED and Workforce Testing.